Province to help African Nova Scotians get title to land given centuries

first_imgHALIFAX – The Nova Scotia government says it is poised to help black residents who have struggled for decades to gain clear title to land that has been in their families since many arrived as Loyalists in the 1800s.African Nova Scotian Affairs Minister Tony Ince issued a statement Monday saying an announcement for “new supports” will be made Wednesday in Cherry Brook, a predominantly African Canadian community east of Halifax.“We have made a commitment to deal with these systemic issues … to ensure that we don’t repeat what has gone on in the past,” Ince said in an interview.He declined to release any details about the government’s plan.In the 1800s, the Nova Scotia government provided land to black and white Loyalists, but the Crown didn’t present land titles for black settlers, creating long-standing confusion over ownership in 13 predominantly black communities.The province’s announcement came the same day an expert panel presented a report on anti-black racism in Canada to the UN Human Rights Council, saying the specific challenges facing African Nova Scotians had to be dealt with.The UN experts said they were particularly concerned with the province’s failure to properly implement the Land Titles Clarification Act of 1963, which was introduced to help people of African descent get title to land that had been given to their families long ago.The act was supposed to provide a simple and inexpensive method for clarifying land titles, but Nova Scotia residents told the panel that the process had become expensive, unjust and discriminatory, resulting in many rejected claims. Funding for the program had also dried up over the years.“Residents must bear the burden for submitting all the documentation, as well as the application, lawyer and surveyor fees necessary to have the land title clarified,” the report said.“(The) Department of Natural Resources … acknowledged that the process was unclear and stated they were attempting to pilot a project to assist residents in the community to obtain the title to their property … The working group emphasized that the act must be implemented in collaboration with, and for the benefit of, the affected population group.”Ince said he couldn’t explain why it has taken so long for the province to fix the problem.“I can’t speak to what other governments did,” he said. “From the African Canadian community (point of view), it’s not a surprise. Those are issues that we live and deal with on a daily basis.”The CEO of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission, Christine Hanson, said she was pleased to learn the government is taking a new approach.“It’s a real bright spot in Nova Scotia to see that there’s political will to take action on a pretty significant recommendation from the UN working group,” Hanson said in an interview.Michelle Williams, a law professor at Dalhousie University in Halifax, said the UN report and the government’s decision to clarify the title process were welcome signs of progress for a file that had sat dormant for too long.“It’s an ongoing problem that should have been resolved long before this,” said Williams, director of the Indigenous Blacks and Mi’kmaq Initiative at the Schulich School of Law. “It’s had a long-term impact on our ability to grow and be healthy.”Williams said the province’s Liberal government should appoint a commission with judicial authority to resolve all claims. As well, it should have access to enough resources to hire lawyers, surveyors and community outreach workers, she said.last_img read more

Sonic the Hedgehog trailer gets remade in cartoon style

first_img Share your voice Tags Gotta go fast 21 Photos TV and Movies Comments This Sonic should look familiar to fans of the TV show. Video screenshot by Amanda Kooser/CNET The trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie emerged from the depths of fan nightmares in May, prompting an epic backlash over the character design — especially over his very human-like teeth. The movie’s creators pledge to re-make Sonic, but animator Artur Baranov is one step ahead with a do-over of the trailer.center_img Baranov posted his reworked trailer this week. He had the bright idea to replace the weird-legged movie Sonic with a version inspired by the cartoon television show Sonic from the ’90s. This is closer to how the speedy hedgehog appears in the Sega video games.This new vision for Sonic looks a lot less like a person in pajamas and more like a fantasy character, complete with skinny legs and arms. There’s a slight hint of white in his mouth, but not a creepy tooth in sight. 2 Summer movie preview: Aladdin, Spider-Man, Tarantino and more Director Jeff Fowler announced that the Sonic the Hedgehog movie release date would be pushed from November to Feb. 14, 2020, to give the filmmakers more time to rework Sonic. Will the new Sonic look more like Baranov’s version or will we get a completely different hedgehog? It can only better from here. Sonic the Hedgehog movie delayed ‘to make Sonic just right’ Sonic the Hedgehog director promises ‘changes’ after the internet went insanelast_img read more

Wave of arrests in Egypt ahead of Sisis 2nd term

first_imgEgyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi attends a military ceremony in the courtyard of the Hotel des Invalides in Paris, France on 26 November 2014As Egyptian president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi prepares to be sworn in for a second four-year term on Saturday, a wave of arrests signals his government’s fear of social dissent, analysts say.Personalities involved in the January 2011 popular uprising that brought down president Hosni Mubarak are among those to have been detained, amid a crackdown that began after March elections gave Sisi an official 97 per cent of the vote.Two of those arrested are blogger and journalist Wael Abbas and Shadi Ghazali Harb, one of the youth leaders during the 2011 revolution.They also include Hazim Abdelazim, who has described his decision to head the youth committee of Sisi’s successful 2014 presidential bid as his “biggest mistake”.“The arrests are in line with the repressive policies of recent years, which aim to subdue” all potential checks on power, said Karim Bitar, a researcher at the French Institute for International and Strategic Affairs.A month ahead of the elections, the public prosecutor’s office warned the media it would act against the dissemination of “false information” deemed detrimental to the country’s “safety and security”.The latest arrests show “nothing has changed in the security-focused policies of the regime” in Egypt, said Mostafa Kamel el-Sayed, a political science professor at Cairo University.“There is still worry of a repeat of what happened in January 2011, which the president has expressed more than once,” said Sayed.Economic hardship may also be making the authorities jittery, analysts say.The government has brought in a value-added tax, cut fuel subsidies and hiked electricity prices, as it seeks to keep to the terms of a $12-billion (10.3-billion-euro) loan deal with the International Monetary Fund.The authorities may also fear activists will “use these circumstances to mobilise citizens against Sisi’s regime”, with figures who made their names in 2011 a particular source of potential concern, Sayed told AFP.A collapse in the value of the currency in late 2016 and resultant inflation, which peaked at 33 percent last July, has also left consumers feeling the pinch.Another electricity price hike and cut to fuel subsidies are planned for the summer.To prepare the public for this unpopular medicine, state-run media has cited the government’s massive 104-billion-pound ($5.8 billion, five-billion-euro) petroleum subsidy bill and the squeeze caused by oil prices rising back above $75 per barrel.‘State of oppression’Advocacy groups have condemned the arrests, calling on authorities to release the activists, with Human Rights Watch on Thursday denouncing a “state of oppression”.The European Union’s foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini has also condemned the wave of arrests.“Sustainable stability and security can only go hand in hand with the full respect of human rights and fundamental freedoms,” her spokeswoman Maja Kocijancic said.“The increasing number of arrests of human rights defenders, political activists and bloggers in the latest weeks in Egypt is therefore a worrying development,” said Kocijancic.Egyptian foreign ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid rejected the criticisms, saying the EU’s track record in human rights can also be condemned.Abu Zeid pointed to “the immense difficulty and degrading treatment suffered by many of the immigrants and refugees, as well as the violations committed by law enforcement authorities” in the EU.“That is in addition to the growing effect of the rise of extremist, right-wing parties and movements, with the ensuing manifestations of racism, discrimination, violence and hate speech,” Abu Zeid said in a statement.Also last month an Egyptian military court sentenced Ismail Alexandrani, a prominent journalist and expert on jihadist movements in the Sinai Peninsula, to 10 years in prison.The court has yet to issue its reasoning, but Alexandrani’s lawyer said he had been accused of publishing military secrets and belonging to the banned Muslim Brotherhood.For Paris-based researcher Bitar, Egypt’s policy direction is at least in part the consequence of the West’s own policies.“The Western preference for Arab authoritarianism provides rulers in the Middle East blank cheques that make them feel they have no limits in regards to oppression,” said Bitar.last_img read more

EPaper Technology Has New Possibilities in Japan

first_img RFID tags deliver letters safely to destination The Toppan Printing Company offered the e-paper displays to the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the Communications Kanto Bureau of Telecommunications. Field testing was performed by having them displayed inside the Toshima Post Office and Higashi-Ikebukuro bus stop. The electronic paper installed inside the Toshima Post Office measured approximately 3.28 feet by 10.5 feet. The e-paper display featured 240 x 768 pixels with a pixel pitch of 4mm. This pixel arrangement was made by arranging 48 x 96-pixel electronic papers in eight horizontal rows and five vertical rows.At the Higashi-Ikebukuro bus stop a smaller display was used measuring approximately 2 feet by 1.3 feet. The e-paper display featured 144 x 96 pixels with a pixel pitch of 4mm. This display was created by arranging pieces of 48 x 96-pixel electronic paper in three vertical rows.The e-paper display in Toshima Post Office will be remaining on display until Jan 29, 2009. The testing is also serving as a promotion for the Toppan Printing Company in using electronic paper for digital signage. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Citation: E-Paper Technology Has New Possibilities in Japan (2009, January 27) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2009-01-e-paper-technology-possibilities-japan.htmlcenter_img Explore further (PhysOrg.com) — On January 23, 2009 e-paper testing was started in Japan around Toshima Ward Office, which is just east of JR Ikebukuro Station. A wireless network was set up at the Toshima Life and Industry Plaza and served as the emergency hub for disseminating disaster information. The test was to see how effective an e-paper display system would be in case of a local disaster.last_img read more

Members of two Purulia families join Trinamool

first_imgKolkata: The members of two families from Purulia whose houses were visited by BJP national president Amit Shah on Thursday, joined Trinamool Congress on Friday.Sishubala Rajghar and her son Sanjay and Astami Rajghar and her son Puchu, came to the Trinamool office in Kolkata and joined the party.Dr Santanu Sen, Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha MP, said that the families from Labda village are not associated with BJP in any way. On Thursday, Shah, along with other BJP leaders, went to their house and spent some time there. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killed”They got frightened after Shah and his team left and without wasting any time, they left for Kolkata. As they saw Abhishek Banerjee, the party’s Youth Congress president in a meeting, they came to Kolkata and took shelter in the party office,” said Sen.Sen said the persons are apolitical and over the past eight years, they have seen major changes taking place in the area, following the initiative taken by Mamata Banerjee.”The roads have improved and people are getting power and drinking water. People had been deprived of basic amenities in the past 34 years under the CPI-M rule. Children are going to school,” he maintained.Local people said the families had shifted to BJP recently. Their relatives still support BJP. On Thursday, some BJP leaders, along with Shah, visited their houses and stayed there for five minutes.Trinamool leaders alleged that BJP had brainwashed the poor people by making false promises and during the Panchayat election, they spent money to win four Gram Panchayats and Panchayat Samitys in Purulia.last_img read more