TWILIGHT DREAMS, the surprise package of the recent 2000 Guineas, reports well trained as the horse to beat in this afternoon’s Simply Magic Cup at 1820 metres. Out for the third time and sent off a rank outsider at odds of 99-1, TWILIGHT DREAMS ran the 2000 Guineas as though he was one of the favourites. The chestnut colt showed speed and pace to chase LOOSE CANNON from post-position one in a maximum 16-horse field, matching strides with SECRET TRAVELLER, while eventual winner FEARLESS SAMURAI tracked the pace from fourth. TWILIGHT DREAMS was still running strong a half-mile out in the one-mile Guineas before being passed by FEARLESS SAMURAI, who went after stablemate LOOSE CANNON three and a half furlongs out. Though relegated to third, TWILIGHT DREAMS stayed third into the lane, chasing splits of 1:11.3, and wasn’t joined by another horse until MARKET FORCE came with his run a furlong and a half out. Still showing fight TWILIGHT DREAMS actually improved into third with a half-furlong to run, going past a weakening LOOSE CANNON, almost as a team with MARKET FORCE, who started a late charge at FEARLESS SAMURAI. TWILIGHT DREAMS stayed third to the last quarter-furlong before being relegated to fifth by SOTOMAYOR and RADICAL closing from off the pace, beaten by a little less than six lengths. With his class exposed in the 2000 Guineas, TWILIGHT DREAMS returned to gallop seven furlongs in 1:28.2 eight days later, proving that he came out of the race none the worse, the only Guineas horse, fillies included, to have galloped so early after the opening classics. Down to carry 115lb and clearly the controlling speed this afternoon, the only question is whether TWILIGHT DREAMS will stay two turns. Apprentice Odean Edwards slips two kilos, making TWILIGHT DREAMS one of the lightest runners in the 12-horse line-up, returning 11lb lower than his Guineas outing two and a half weeks ago. He stayed on well enough at a mile with 126lb, against the best colts and geldings in the Guineas, to be given the benefit of the doubt in a weaker field.
Photo by www.foxsports.comTony Dorsett, the Hall of Fame running back with the Dallas Cowboys, has symptoms of CTE, a buildup of tau, an abnormal protein that strangles brain cells in areas that control memory, emotions and other functions.Dorsett, 59, speaking on ESPN’s Outside The Lines, said he has experienced memory loss, depression and thoughts of suicide.Scarily, the former superstar said that when he took his Oct. 21 flight from Dallas to Los Angeles for testing, he repeatedly struggled to remember why he was aboard the plane and where he was going. Such episodes, he said, are commonplace when he travels.Autopsies of more than 50 ex-NFL players, including Hall of Famer Mike Webster and perennial All-Pro Junior Seau, who committed suicide last year, found such tau concentrations. Doctors told Dorsett on Monday that tests revealed he has the symptoms of CTE or chronic traumatic encephalopathy.Dorsett said he also gets lost when he drives his two youngest daughters, ages 15 and 10, to their soccer and volleyball games. “I’ve got to take them to places that I’ve been going to for many, many, many years, and then I don’t know how to get there,” he said.But there is more. Emotional outbursts occur frequently enough that his wife and daughters are afraid of the 1976 Heisman Trophy winner.“It’s painful, man, for my daughters to say they’re scared of me.” After a long pause, he tearfully reiterated, “It’s painful.”Dorsett said doctors have told him he is clinically depressed.“I’ve thought about crazy stuff, sort of like, ‘Why do I need to continue going through this?’” he said. “I’m too smart of a person, I like to think, to take my life, but it’s crossed my mind.”“I’m trying to slow this down or cut it off,” said Dorsett. “I’m going to be 60 years old here next year, so I’m hoping that I’ve got another good 30 years or so.”CTE is a disease with no known cure, but Dorsett said he was seeking answers to explain his cognitive and emotional difficulties. “I want to know if this is something that has come about because of playing football.”Dorsett’s 12-year playing career ended a quarter-century ago, and he said he doesn’t know how many concussions he suffered, but that they were numerous and he believes their consequences are, too. “My quality of living has changed drastically and it deteriorates every day,” he said.
Share your voice Tags Gotta go fast 21 Photos TV and Movies Comments This Sonic should look familiar to fans of the TV show. Video screenshot by Amanda Kooser/CNET The trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie emerged from the depths of fan nightmares in May, prompting an epic backlash over the character design — especially over his very human-like teeth. The movie’s creators pledge to re-make Sonic, but animator Artur Baranov is one step ahead with a do-over of the trailer. Baranov posted his reworked trailer this week. He had the bright idea to replace the weird-legged movie Sonic with a version inspired by the cartoon television show Sonic from the ’90s. This is closer to how the speedy hedgehog appears in the Sega video games.This new vision for Sonic looks a lot less like a person in pajamas and more like a fantasy character, complete with skinny legs and arms. There’s a slight hint of white in his mouth, but not a creepy tooth in sight. 2 Summer movie preview: Aladdin, Spider-Man, Tarantino and more Director Jeff Fowler announced that the Sonic the Hedgehog movie release date would be pushed from November to Feb. 14, 2020, to give the filmmakers more time to rework Sonic. Will the new Sonic look more like Baranov’s version or will we get a completely different hedgehog? It can only better from here. Sonic the Hedgehog movie delayed ‘to make Sonic just right’ Sonic the Hedgehog director promises ‘changes’ after the internet went insane
We know you’re wondering, so no, it’s not a wild new succulent-based design direction, we’re just experiencing some site issues. Hold tight.— TechCrunch (@TechCrunch) June 11, 2019 Comment Internet Rolling Stone, 9to5Google and VentureBeat were also hit by the outage. “Big day for succulents. #WordPress,” one person tweeted. TechCrunch tweeted about the situation, saying: “We know you’re wondering, so no, it’s not a wild new succulent-based design direction, we’re just experiencing some site issues. Hold tight.” WordPress styles being down is a reminder that old school blogs ruled— Mike Murphy (@mcwm) June 11, 2019 Ok… something’s wrong with WP[.]com… like really wrongSites were down for 30 minutes, now some of them have default themes.Check out TechCrunch’s “new” look pic.twitter.com/LfItE6G9nI— Catalin Cimpanu (@campuscodi) June 11, 2019 Big day for succulents. #WordPress pic.twitter.com/PtoyKmbKU9— Kyle Frost (@kylefrost) June 11, 2019 All VIP Go sites were back up and running after about three hours. A WordPress outage left some sites with an artsy shot of succulents. Artem Russakovskii via TwitterSucculents were front and center Tuesday after a WordPress outage led some sites to revert to default themes. The outage, which occurred on WordPress’ VIP Go platform, caused premium blogs to show 503 errors or go back to WordPress’ default themes. In many cases, sites featured artsy shots of succulents before a fix was issued.Outlets such as TechCrunch, 9to5Mac and BBC America were affected. Read more: The best website builders for 2019″Ok… something’s wrong with WP[.]com… like really wrong,” tweeted Catalin Cimpanu, a reporter at CNET’s sister site ZDNet. “Sites were down for 30 minutes, now some of them have default themes. Check out TechCrunch’s ‘new’ look.” The default themes may invoke some distant blogging memories. “WordPress styles being down is a reminder that old school blogs ruled,” tweeted Mike Murphy, tech editor at Quartz. The publication also appeared to suffer from the outage. Tags 1 Share your voice
Marvel Sony TV and Movies 77 Photos Share your voice Comments 14 Tania González/CNET First the internet wanted to raid Area 51, now Sony is the target, with over 5,500 Spider-Man fans planning to storm its California offices and bring Spider-Man back to Marvel.A Facebook event, hosted by three fans, was set up on Tuesday. The event, according to its description, involves dressing up in Spider-Man costumes and bringing “our boy home!” (to the Marvel Cinematic Universe).The raid is planned for Oct. 31, aka Halloween. The perfect guise.This fan rage spawned from a report Deadline published Tuesday of a high-level dispute between Sony and Marvel. That dispute means Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige won’t produce any more Spider-Man films and Marvel will no longer be involved in the Spider-Man movie universe.Fan ire has been primarily targeted at Sony, but the company pointed to Marvel’s role in Feige stepping away. “Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise,” a spokesperson told CNET. “We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film.”Stay hopeful, though. The Sony representative also stated they hoped things might “change in the future.”Sony and Marvel made a deal in 2015 to make Spider-Man movies together. The latest, Spider-Man: Far From Home, earned more than $1 billion at the box office, becoming Sony’s highest ever grossing film.Columbia Pictures, Sony’s primary film production holding, acquired the rights to movie Spider-Man in 2000. It made five Spider-Man movies before the deal with Marvel brought Spider-Man: Homecoming, then Far From Home. 2019 movies to geek out over Tags
By Jamesia Downer, AFRO InternOn June 19, 1865, the last group of enslaved people in Galveston, Texas, were informed that the Union Army had won the Civil War and they were free. Since that day, Black people have celebrated their freedom every year for what has now been coined a national holiday: Juneteenth.Nearly 154 years later, the Juneteenth celebration continue across America but more specifically right here in Baltimore, Md., on the campus of Johns Hopkins University. “They [African American men and women who came before us] visualized this day…where we would all come into this place and gather together for this special day. To celebrate their memory. To celebrate Juneteenth. To celebrate their contribution. To celebrate all the things and all the sacrifices that they made for all of us.” said Sean Yoes, AFRO’s Baltimore Editor and keynote speaker for Johns Hopkins Juneteenth Celebration.<span data-mce-type=”bookmark” style=”display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;” class=”mce_SELRES_start”></span>Historically, Johns Hopkins has had many occasions of racism towards residents of Baltimore and the Black students who attend their university. In the present day, there is a group of people looking “to help foster a culture of oneness for all..” on the campus of Johns Hopkins, that group is the Black Faculty and Staff Association (BFSA).The Juneteenth celebration is one of many ways that BFSA brings African-American culture and history to the Johns Hopkins Campus. With musical performances by The Morgan State University Choir, Southern Baptist Church, and Keur Khaleyi African Dance Company a true spirit of black excellence filled the Glass Pavilion on the Homewood Campus. The Black Faculty and Staff Association invited Yoes as their keynote speaker for their annual Juneteenth celebration. For over 30 years, Yoes has used his career as a journalist and activist to be a strong, unwavering voice for the citizens of Black Baltimore. His words were a call to action for those beautiful “spooks behind the door” to continue advocating for African-Americans not only on the Johns Hopkins University campus but throughout the city of Baltimore. You do not need to be a member of BFSA to attend their events. Visit heck their website for any upcoming events that will help promote and celebrate African American life on the Johns Hopkins campus and throughout the city.
Police search for missing woman Punter found hiding in bushes Dad slams ‘disgusting’ hospital window Follow StokeonTrentLive Download our app – You can download our free app for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store , or get the Android version from Google Play . Follow StokeonTrentLive on Facebook – Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Click here to give it a like! Follow us on Twitter – For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow SOTLive on Twitter . Follow us on Instagram – Featuring pictures past and present from across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire – and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! We also put the latest news in our Instagram Stories. Click here to follow StokeonTrentLive on Instagram . Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailFive people, including two children, have been taken to hospital after a two-car crash on a Staffordshire Road. One woman was airlifted after emergency services were called to Hednesford Road in Heath Hayes, Cannock, near The Five Ways pub, at around 11.44am this morning (Friday July 26). Three ambulances, a senior paramedic, a paramedic officer and the Midlands Air Ambulance from Staffordshire were sent to the scene. A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called to reports of two cars that had been in collision, both of which had suffered front end damage. “There were five occupants in the two vehicles, all of whom were able to get themselves out. The driver of one of the cars, a woman, was treated for multiple injuries and airlifted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham in a serious condition. “There were two boys who also required assessment from the same car. They were treated for potentially serious injuries and taken to Birmingham Children’s Hospital on blue lights and sirens. “From the second car, ambulance staff treated the driver, a man, and a woman who was a front seat passenger. They were both treated for non-life-threatening injuries and taken to New Cross Hospital.” A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: “Officers are currently in attendance with West Midlands Ambulance Service for a serious road traffic collision at Hednesford Road. “Road closures will be in place for some time around Burntwood Road/ Brownhills Road and Five Ways island.” A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman added: “Fire crews from Cannock and Chase Terrace made two vehicles safe, following a road traffic collision at Heath Hayes near Cannock. All occupants are out of their vehicles and casualties are being taken to hospital.” Read MoreTop stories on StokeonTrentLive Driver named following fatal collision