Students studying at the state-run University of Liberia are calling on the National Government and the University Authority to negotiate for more buses to take them to the UL Fendell Campus where most of the undergraduate colleges have been transferred.Speaking to the Daily Observer on January 29, on the Fendell Campus during the first day of reopening, students expressed delight over the resumption of classes after two and a half months of closure. In spite of this, they raised concern over transportation constraints causing them difficulty to leave Redlight to Fendell.The University of Liberia currently has over 30,000 students. Most of the undergraduate colleges are being transferred to Fendell with the exception of the Business College and Graduate Program, including the Louis Arthur Grimes School of Law.Students come from various parts of Monrovia and Margibi County to converge at Parker Paint in Red-Light, Paynesville to board buses to go to campus.There are less than ten buses rented by the UL Administration to transport the thousands of students to the Fendell Campus.The National Transit Authority (NTA) assists in the process of transporting students to and from campus based on negotiation and understanding. Despite the assistance, it is still difficult for students to cope with the situation as the number of buses available cannot meet their needs.Students including Morris H. Nahlon, Albert Kermokai, Joseph F. Kamara and others stressed that though difficulties are associated with education and must be endured, they stand ready to pay the transport fare if buses are made available.According to the students, they are often late for their classes because of the difficulties boarding the few buses as they (students) are many in number struggling to get on them. They told the Daily Observer that when they go late it is counted against them at the end of the semester.In President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf’s Annual Message delivered on January 27, she mentioned that there is a plan underway to transfer all the colleges of the University from the Capitol Hill campus to Fendell.She said the surveying process for the university’s land is at the point of completion, and dilapidated structures there would soon be demolished to build new ones.Even while UL students expressed hope to see these promises kept, they called on government to immediately address their pressing transportation needs. They said tackling this issue would help keep them in school as government works on the long range plan of transferring the colleges.Meanwhile, the students— having stayed out of class for two months— were quite disappointed when their instructors did not turn out on the first day of opening.They said they paid money to cover long distances from other parts of Monrovia to converge on the campus. To their disappointment they arrived only to find they could not start classes.They claimed the time they wasted created setbacks to the completion of the first semester; and that they had no idea when the second would begin. They, therefore, called for their instructors to be honest and fulfill their promises by attending classes; since their main demand (the ousting of former Provost Dr. Wede Brownell) for which they (instructors) disengaged has been resolved.On the Fendell campus Wednesday, January 29, a few instructors showed up on the first day of reopening.During a tour of the various classrooms, three instructors were seen lecturing students in Geography, Education and Communications.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The High Court has started to hear two separate writs that are seeking to overturn the Director of Public Prosecution’s decision to discontinue private criminal charges of Misconduct in Public Office against several ministers in the Coalition Government.Justice Fidella Corbin-Lincoln earlier this week ordered Attorney Anil Nandall to put in his submissions by July 25, and gave the Attorney General’s Chambers until August 9 to issue submissions. Both parties are slated to return on September 6, 2018 to present oral arguments.The People’s Progressive Party (PPP), through members Vickram Bharrat and Bishop Juan Edghill, have filed private charges against present and former Ministers of Public Health, Volda Lawrence and Dr George Norton, for charges relating to sole-sourcing of drugs and Government renting a Sussex Street Albouystown drugs bond.Meanwhile, Finance Minister Winston Jordan, Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson, and then Education Minister Dr. Rupert Roopnaraine were all charged for their reported handling of $906 million of public funds under the Durban ParkAnil NandlallProject.The DPP, back in April, 2018, had for the second time in one-week discontinued charges of “Misconduct in Public Office, contrary to the Common Law” initiated by Opposition Members of Parliament (MPs) against Ministers Patterson and Jordan, and now Public Service Minister Dr Roopnaraine. In the first charge, the court heard that Jordan and Patterson were being accused of “paying to private limited liability company Homestretch Development Inc (HDI) the sum of $906 million, being public funds, without any resort to the procurement process as is required by law.”The additional charge against Roopnaraine alleges that “while being a Minister, [he] acted as Director of the private limited liability company Homestretch Development Inc (HDI) and accepted $906 million of public funds without any resort to the procurement process, which is prescribed by law.”However, DPP Shalimar Ali-Hack said, “The private criminal charges for the offence of Misconduct in Public Office contrary to the Common Law, instituted against Ministers Winston Jordan and David Patterson and Rupert Roopnaraine were discontinued by the Director of Public Prosecutions under Article 187 (1) ( c) of the Constitution of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana.”She has maintained that “these charges concern a grave issue under the criminal law in relation to two serving Ministers. [As such,] in the interest of good governance in the State of Guyana, such allegations ought first to have been reported to the Guyana Police Force, for an investigation to be launched and the advice of the DPP sought.”The $1 billion D’Urban Park project has been shrouded in much secrecy, and following calls from the parliamentary Opposition, the Office of the Auditor General of Guyana launched a special audit into the project. Charges were also brought against other ministers in relation to the Sussex Street Drug Bond, which was also shrouded in secrecy. However, when a case was filed in this regard, the DPP also discontinued them on the same grounds as these recent charges.On April 19, 2018, the Opposition filed a case against Dr George Norton and Volda Lawrence. Those charges were in relation to rental of a house in Sussex Street, Albouystown, Georgetown in the sum of $12 million to store drugs, and the sole sourcing of drugs and pharmaceuticals from private company ANSA McAL Trading Limited in the sum of $605 million.These private charges followed charges filed against former PPP Government officials Finance Minister Dr. Ashni Singh and former NICIL Head Winston Brassington, who were both charged and released on bail in relation to several land transactions.
The Local Government Commission (LGC) has been in the limelight over the past weeks for several decisions and operating procedures, which raised eyebrows and questions into its function.However, another development surfaced on Saturday when an informed source revealed that salaries for employees of the constitutional body are yet to be paid.Guyana Times was informed that the vouchers were yet to be signed by the Permanent Secretary, Emil McGarrell of the Communities Ministry, who, according to sources, has to wait on approval from Minister Ronald Bulkan.Since payments during early December, staffers have not received any payments, and it was insisted that these monies should have already been disbursed.“They went through the details of the budget, both the Finance Ministry and the Local Government Commission. It was approved, but the voucher wasn’t signed off, so nobody received any money since the first part of December when payments were last made. Given the fact that they paid very early in December, this money should’ve already been in. Apparently, this money is still administered under the Permanent Secretary and he still has to take instructions from Bulkan before signing them,” the source said.Other matters raised included the operations at the Commission since it was sworn in and the fact that Bulkan has been actively involved in activities of the Commission. With the establishment of the LGC, some responsibilities which the Minister held were transferred to the agency. As such, the source, who is an employee, expressed that this is somewhat affecting the work of the Commission.According to the source, “this is preventing the Commission from operating as a constitutional body. The Commission has to deal with appointments and dismissal and a host of things that the Minister would usually do. They have not recognised the Commission as a constitutional body. The Communities Minister still wants to be in control of the Local Government Commission. They were having this problem since the swearing-in of the Commission.”Letters addressing these issues were dispatched to Attorney General Basil Williams; Minister of State, Joseph Harmon and even President David Granger.“No one is dealing with this. The Commission has written several – the Attorney General several times as well as the Minister of State. They even wrote the President to bring it to his attention and no one is responding to these concerns. With the way the Commission is functioning, it is not an independent body, but one that is being manipulated,” the source added.After City Hall’s Commission of Inquiry report was submitted, the Commission was expected to make a pronouncement on the recommendations. Officers were asked to present themselves and some, including the embattled Town Clerk, Royston King appeared last week.However, Commissioner Carol Sooba was prohibited from all discussions on the report’s findings. Initially, it was proposed that she recuse herself from one meeting, which focused on her benefits. However, the Chairman, Mortimer Mingo, pursued a course of action to excuse her completely.Fellow Commissioner Clinton Collymore had opined that Sooba was experienced on the Mayor and City Council’s operations and the LGC was allegedly attempting a cover-up. He also hinted that this outcome is linked to a political card, played by the Chairman to dissolve some of the recommendations in the report.“There are other reasons for this. One of the reasons is that she was at the municipality for a very long time and she has some institutional knowledge as to what is going on and they don’t want that exposed,” Collymore expressed. (Rupadai Seenarine)
The Fort St. John Huskies have a chance to take a commanding 2-0 series lead in the best of five NWJHL quarter final tonight against the Dawson Creek Junior Canucks. The Huskies took game one by a score of 2-1, and game two will be played on home ice at the North Peace Arena at 8 p.m.Fort St. John is expected to get two key cogs back in the line-up tonight as Blair Karasiuk and Kody Disher will be lacing up the skates.Travis McLean will get the nod again after his solid work in game one where he stopped 22 shots.- Advertisement -Tonight is also “minor hockey night” at the game as all local minor hockey players wearing their jerseys will be admitted for free.Game three is slated for tomorrow night in Dawson Creek at 8 p.m.
650″ height=”251″ alt=”” src=”/files/u1/accident-pic_1.jpg” />The Fort St. John RCMP says the body of a male driver was found at the scene of a roll-over last night, near the Beatton River campsites. It occurred about 7.30 on the Cecil Lake road and, resulted in its closure and a detour around the crash site, during preliminary police investigation. Constable Jackelynn Passarell says the RCMP believe the lone occupant was not wearing his seat belt. [asset|aid=71|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=Passarell – Roll Over Cecil Lake_1_Pub.mp3] The name of the victim is being withheld, even though next of kin have been notified. Police also say the cause of the crash is not known.- Advertisement –
Lake Los Angeles is an unincorporated rural town of about 13,000 that sits on the northwestern fringe of Los Angeles County, about 30 miles west of Palmdale. It was the site for much of the filming of the long-running television show “Bonanza.” Originally envisioned as a resort town in the early 1960s, Lake Los Angeles’ man-made lake has long since evaporated amid the Antelope Valley’s most impoverished region. LAKE LOS ANGELES – Los Angeles County homicide detectives are investigating the shooting death of a man found early Friday in the community of Lake Los Angeles. The body was discovered at 3:20 a.m. In the 16800 block of Valeport Avenue, sheriff’s deputies said. The victim’s name had not been released. Assuming the case is ruled a homicide, it would be the second reported in the Antelope Valley this year – both in Lake Los Angeles. On Jan. 1, the body of Jasin Ayuso, 25, was found stabbed and beaten in the 39000 block of 164th Street East. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Arsenal are planning to launch a sensational bid to sign Paris Saint-Germain star Edinson Cavani.Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is looking to land a top class forward before the end of the transfer window to replace injured striker Olivier Giroud.It’s feared the Frenchman could be out for a number of months with an ankle injury sustained in Arsenal’s 2-2 draw at Everton at the weekend.And the north London outfit are ready to make their move for the 27-year-old hitman, providing they get past Besiktas on Wednesday night and qualify for the Champions League group stages.Wenger is prepared to clear out a number of fringe players, including German forward Lukas Podolski, in order to fund a £40m plus bid for the Uruguay international, talkSPORT understands.Cavani had been linked with a move to England earlier in the transfer window when his agent Pierpaolo Triuzi was reported to be exploring a Premier League move for the striker.The goalscorer is reportedly unhappy playing second fiddle to Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Paris, with manager Lauren Blanc preferring the maverick Swede as his lone frontman and often pushing Cavani into his unfavoured position on the wing.It is believed he and his agent are hoping Arsenal will provide an escape route out of France, with PSG prepared to do business if they can bring in a replacement.However, Blanc’s transfer plans have been scuppered this summer by the Financial Fair Play rules which, having spent their entire £50million budget on Chelsea defender David Luiz, allowed Manchester United to step in and sign their primary attacking target Angel Di Maria. 1 Wantaway PSG striker Edinson Cavani
After spending all those years playing the witch Willow on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” Alyson Hannigan is having a good time playing kooky newlywed Lily on the CBS sitcom “How I Met Your Mother.” “Each episode is just getting better and better,” she says of the show, which is now in its third season. “Marshall (Jason Segal) and Lily are exploring being married. It’s a lot of fun. We get our own place – well, we look into getting our own place – I won’t tell you if it works out or not.” Too late! Hannigan, also known for her role as Michelle – the girl with the band camp stories – in the “American Pie” movies, says the cast has become a tight-knit ensemble. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“We just crack each other up all day long. It couldn’t be a better environment.”
1 Roberto Mancini Inter Milan have confirmed Roberto Mancini has left his post as manager.The former Manchester City boss was in his second spell in charge of the Italian giants, having returned to the club in 2014.Mancini’s relationship with new Inter owners Suning Holdings reportedly broke down over the summer and Inter have endured a difficult pre-season, losing 4-1 to Bayern Munich and 6-1 to Tottenham.He has now left the San Siro “by mutual agreement”, according to a statement released by the club on Monday morning.Mancini is set to be succeeded by Frank de Boer, who left Ajax earlier this summer.The Dutchman was linked with Premier League clubs Everton and Southampton before those vacancies were filled by Ronald Koeman and Claude Puel respectively.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECasino Insider: Here’s a look at San Manuel’s new high limit rooms, Asian restaurant160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! WHITTIER – The 2006 Grand Slam Business Expo is expected to attract more than 100 businesses to the Radisson Hotel on Thursday in Uptown Whittier. The expo, scheduled to start at 4 p.m., will take over the hotel’s ballroom, boardrooms, foyer and lobby. Banco Popular will again serve as the corporate sponsor, with the Whittier Uptown Association and the Whittier Area Chamber of Commerce also sponsoring. The expo is free and open to the public. New this year is the Business Expo Booklet that will be available to all expo attendees. Sponsored and printed by ACRO Printing, Inc., the booklet will have contact information on all expo participants. As always, a variety of food will be available. Samples from many of Whittier’s restaurants and/or caterers will be showcased including Phlight Restaurant, Nancy’s Bakery, Starbucks, Cobblestone Caf , Olive Garden, Rocky Cola Caf , Crepes & Grapes Caf , Bon Appetit, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Orchard’s Fresh Foods, Sam’s Pizzeria and California Grill. For more information, call (562)698-9554. – From staff reports