Man shot dead by city constable

first_img…one day after he was detained Marlon Fredericks, who was arrested on Saturday afternoon on Robb Street, Georgetown following a high drama chase by officers attached to the City Constabulary, was on Sunday shot dead, reportedly in front of his mother.A City Constabulary Lance Corporal has been taken into Police custody following the fatal shooting of the 34-year-old man from Tiger Bay, Georgetown.The body of the dead manAccording to the Guyana Police Force, the incident occurred at around 13:15hrs outside of the City Constabulary Outpost located on Regent Street, Georgetown.Reports indicate that Fredricks was shot by the City Constabulary Lance Corporal as he was attempting to escape from the said Outpost.The Guyana Times understands that the dead man allegedly forced his way outside of the lockup when it was opened to let out another prisoner to use the toilet.A struggle reportedly ensued between the victim and the Lance Corporal who tried to restrain him, and in the process the prisoner (victim) ran out the Outpost and was fatally shot once in the lower back by the Lance Corporal who was armed with a service pistol.This publication was informed that Fredricks was shot in the presence of his mother, Claudette Fredricks – who is the Editor of the First Look morning programme aired daily on Channel 9 television.However, following the man’s killing, scores of persons who witnessed the incident flocked the scene and accused the Lance Corporal of murder, revealing that excessive force was used.“Is murder! That man could have been apprehended. If you see the condition that he was already in. The man whole head had bandage up because of the beating he get yesterday (Saturday) when they arrest he. Them murder that man!” one angry eyewitness declared at the crime scene.“After they shoot he the man was still alive, and nobody made any attempt to call for an ambulance; he just get left right there to dead!” another person said.Some of the angry onlookers broke out in a moving rendition of the song ‘How many more Jah!’ as they called for justice for Frederick.This newspaper previously reported of Frederick’s arrest by Lance Corporal Adam Hoyte, who pursued the man wanted for questioning in a simple larceny matter.It was reported that after he was apprehended, Fredrick began to fight Hoyte for his service pistol – a 9mm Tauras – which was in his holster at his waist.In that process, the firearm discharged one round; however, no one was shot. Both men received injuries to their heads as a result of the scuffle.Fredericks was later subdued, but a video seen by this publication shows a random man walking up to Fredrick as he was left lying on the ground and dealing him several kicks to his head.The injured man was then escorted to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC), where he was treated and was being kept for observation.The body is presently at the Lyken Funeral Home awaiting a post-mortem today. The weapon, along with eight live rounds and a spent shell, has been lodged as investigations continue. (Kizzy Coleman)last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *