Feds say man threatened Ohio State during Michigan game

first_imgLast Updated: 2nd January, 2020 09:01 IST Feds Say Man Threatened Ohio State During Michigan Game Authorities are looking for a man accused of saying he was going to shoot up Ohio State University and hurt players on the football team in a threat made during the university’s 2018 game with the University of Michigan, according to a federal indictment. COMMENT WATCH US LIVE Authorities are looking for a man accused of saying he was going to shoot up Ohio State University and hurt players on the football team in a threat made during the university’s 2018 game with the University of Michigan, according to a federal indictment.The September indictment unsealed last month in federal court in Columbus accuses Daniel Rippy of making the “electronic communication” threat from California during the game, which was played in Columbus that year. Ohio State won the contest 62-39.Rippy said the school would be shot up “and I’m seriously going to hurt the students and all of the players from the football team,” according to the Sept. 26 indictment.Rippy was arrested Dec. 28 in Livermore, California, The Mercury News reported. Rippy was released on bond Monday, but then failed to report to the court’s Pretrial Services division as required, according to a court document filed the same day seeking an arrest warrant. Rippy also didn’t report to a halfway house as required, the document said.“It should be noted that the defendant’s attorney was contacted and he also had been unsuccessful in contacting the defendant as of this writing of this petition,” Richard Sarlatte, U.S. Pretrial Services Supervisor, said in the Monday filing. Written By FOLLOW UScenter_img SUBSCRIBE TO US LIVE TV Associated Press Television News First Published: 2nd January, 2020 09:01 ISTlast_img read more

The Wendt Group wins big at the Ohio Auctioneers Convention

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The Ohio Auctioneers Association (OAA) has recognized The Wendt Group’s exceptional marketing work by naming the company winner of four out of its six categories in its 2017 Ohio Auctioneers Association Marketing Competition.The 2017 contest included entries from across the state. The Wendt Group’s awards were in the Brochure Design, Newspaper Advertising, Public Relations, Auction Promotion, Photography and Digital & Social Media. The Wendt group was recognized Saturday at the competition reception in Cuyahoga Falls.“To be recognized by your peers on a state level is a great honor,” said Kevin Wendt, The Wendt Group president. “We’ve also been blessed to be affiliated with Wes Sigler and Blue River Digital to bring award-winning and unique marketing design options to our sellers.”The Wendt Group consists of full-service real estate professionals serving Ohio, Indiana, and the Midwest, offering both auction and traditional brokerage services. They specialize in farmland, recreational land, and farm equipment and are currently booking auctions for 2017. To learn more about The Wendt Group’s award-winning real estate and auction services, call 614-626-7653 or visit thewendtgroup.com.last_img read more

Bengal to construct building to mark Guru Nanak’s 550th birth

first_imgWest Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on November 11 announced that the government will construct a building to mark the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak, the founder of Sikhism.Speaking before a congregation of Sikhs on the eve of Guru Nanak’s birthday, Banerjee said she had told city mayor Firhad Hakim to identify land for the building in the south-eastern fringes of the city.“We want to do something to mark the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak. Roads are there in the city after his name. So we want to construct a bhavan (building)”, she said. Banerjee said it is difficult to get the required land within the proper city limits. “I told Firhad Hakim to indentify a land. We will support in whatever way we can to construct the building,” she said.Banerjee said Guru Nanak had taught the people to work for the welfare of humanity and “we need to imbibe his preachings”.last_img read more

Perpetual’s win over St. Benilde forfeited

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netThe NCAA management committee (Mancom) has forfeited Perpetual Help’s 69-65 win over St. Benilde Tuesday for wearing the wrong uniform to the game.The Altas played in their dark maroon jerseys against the designated light uniforms, violating the league’s rule.ADVERTISEMENT READ: NCAA: Perpetual brings wrong set of uniform“Any athlete whose playing uniform does not conform with the rules, first offense is ineligible to participate in a given game,” said NCAA Mancom chairman Fr. Glynn Ortega, OAR, of host San Sebastian in a statement.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsOffenders of the said rule are ineligible for the said contest, although the Altas were still allowed to play against the Blazers.Here’s the NCAA Mancom decision re: Perpetual’s jersey mix-up. #NCAASeason93 pic.twitter.com/w3RiZR2XdP— Randolph B. Leongson (@RLeongsonINQ) July 11, 2017The forfeiture reverses the results, giving St. Benilde its first win of the season.ADVERTISEMENT Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ LATEST STORIES Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR ‘Nothing surprises me now,’ says Pacquiao on WBO fight review China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games The same rule applies to the Junior Altas squad in the juniors division, but the Junior Blazers emerged victorious earlier in the day, 64-60.READ: Eze lifts Perpetual to first win; St. Benilde puts game under protestThe committee was quick to react on the controversy, coming up with the decision just after last game of the day concluded.ADVERTISEMENT View commentslast_img read more

WWE Monday Night Raw completes 1000 episodes

first_imgWWE Raw or Monday Night Raw or WWE Raw SuperShow has now completed its 1000 episodes. A sports entertainment program for WWE that airs on the US Network, it is the fifth longest-running weekly wrestling show in history. The Rock: Who is he? John Cena: Who is he? Since its launch in 1993, Raw continues to air on Monday nights. It is generally seen as the company’s flagship programme due to its high ratings, weekly live format and an emphasis on pay-per-views.WWE Raw has been broadcast live from 197 different arenas in 165 cities and towns in nine different nations.last_img

Ed Beathea excited to be coaching Ohio State mens track and field

Ed Beathea became the interim head coach of Ohio State’s men’s track and field in April, following an abrupt end to Robert Gary’s coaching tenure.Beathea’s interim tag was removed when he was officially named the program’s head coach Thursday.Beathea, who joined OSU as associate head coach in 2006, will receive a five-year contract as the team’s new head man. He will also lead the OSU men’s cross-country program.His annual salary will be $95,000, according to an OSU spokesman.Beathea told The Lantern that it is “certainly a big relief” to continue having the opportunity to lead the Buckeyes.“It’s very exciting for me, it’s very exciting for my family,” Beathea said. “The guys on the team are all very excited, they were very supportive and certainly supported me throughout the process.”Prior to joining the OSU coaching staff, Beathea coached sprinters and hurdlers at Indiana University for 10 years, including four seasons as associate head coach. An alumnus of Ball State University, he was also an assistant coach for two seasons at Northern Arizona University prior to his decade at Indiana.OSU fired Gary April 6, according to public records obtained by The Columbus Dispatch. OSU athletic spokesman Dan Wallenberg told the Dispatch that the decision to terminate Gary was made following the university’s discovery of “financial reporting irregularities.”On April 18, Gary was named the head coach of Furman University’s men’s and women’s track and field/cross country program. Furman also hired is wife, Rita, as his assistant coach.Beathea took over head coaching responsibilities for the remainder of the 2012 season following Gary’s firing. Beathea, who coached the Buckeyes to a fourth-place finish at the Big Ten Outdoor Championships, said he was pleased with the team’s performance during his time as interim head coach.“I thought the team performed really well,” Beathea said. “Considering the situation … me having to come in midway through the season, I thought the team was very focused, I thought they were very competitive.”While Beathea was satisfied with his team’s result this spring, he has higher expectations going forward.“It was a tough conference meet outdoor this year,” Beathea said. “I think that our goal is always to be in the top three. I think that our goal in the Big Ten in the next two or three years is to win the conference.”Beathea said he believes the team’s incoming recruiting class is very strong, but that he and his coaching staff will place a greater emphasis upon recruiting.“I think that certainly we will try to recruit more aggressively,” Beathea said. “We’ll certainly have a plan in place for that. Our goal for the national standpoint is to be a top-five or a top-ten team, and the only way that we’re going to be able to do that is to continue to add recruiting classes like the one we had this year.”The team’s incoming recruiting class includes three Gatorade State Track and Field Athletes of the Year. Ohio’s Donovan Robertson, a two-time winner of the award, also won two consecutive Division I state outdoor championships in 110-meter hurdles and 300-meter hurdles, and set the indoor national high school record in 60-meter hurdles in March. Rhode Island’s Joe Velez won the 2012 outdoor national championship in hammer throw, while Pennsylvania’s Billy Stanley had the nation’s second-farthest javelin throw among high school athletes in 2012.Beathea said he is still evaluating his current coaching staff, and whether any changes will be made is “still to be determined.”Beathea said that while his coaching style is different from Gary’s, he does not anticipate significant changes to be made as a result of the coaching change.“I think there’s certainly differences in how Coach Gary led the team and how I led the team, how I lead the team,” Beathea said. “But there’s certainly some similarities … I’m very focused on having a strong culture with a team, having the guys understand what the expectations are, have them understand what’s going on around them with other event areas and other guys on the team.Beathea said he planned on changing things that needed to be changed, but that he wouldn’t need to reinvent the wheel.“I think that we always are open for new ideas.” read more

NFL draft Gareon Conley selected 24th overall by the Oakland Raiders

The Buckeyes celebrate as redshirt junior cornerback Gareon Conley (8) intercepts the ball during the Fiesta Bowl on Dec. 31. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorAmidst accusations of rape that were reported Tuesday, former Ohio State cornerback Gareon Conley has been selected by the Oakland Raiders with the 24th pick in the first round.On Tuesday, Conley was accused of raping a woman in the Westin Hotel in Cleveland on April 9, and decided after the accusations were made that he would not be attending the draft. The investigation is ongoing and no charges or arrests have been filed or made.Conley is the second OSU cornerback taken in the draft, coming 13 picks after former teammate Marshon Lattimore was selected with the 11th pick in the first round. Conley originally declared for the draft on Jan. 3, a day after former teammate safety Malik Hooker declared and eight days before Lattimore announced his intentions to enter the draft.The junior cornerback played all three years he was eligible at OSU without redshirting in any season. He only played in nine games as a freshman in 2014, but was a starter in 2015 alongside current New York Giants cornerback Eli Apple.In 2015, he played all 13 games and totaled 49 tackles and seven passes defended, two of which went for interceptions and five were just broken up. As a junior last season, he again played in all of the team’s 13 games, racking up 26 tackles with 12 passes defended (eight broken up and intercepting four). Conley and Lattimore helped the Buckeyes own one of the most airtight passing defenses in the NCAA last season. OSU allowed the seventh fewest passing yards last season (172.2 ypg). The unit also picked off 21 passes last season, fourth most among Division I schools, and returned a Division I-leading seven of them for a touchdown. At the combine, Conley participated in six of the seven events outside of the 60-yard shuttle, placing within the top-10 finishers among defensive backs in four of the six. He finished seventh with a 37-inch vertical jump and completed the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds (11th best).The Raiders allowed the ninth most passing yards last season (4,120) and were tied for the 10th-most passing touchdowns allowed (27).Conley and the Raiders will play in their first game of the NFL regular season on Sept. 10 when they travel to Tennessee to take on the Titans. read more

Aubameyang had reservations about Lacazette

first_imgArsenal’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang confessed that he initially had reservations about Alexandre Lacazette, but is pleased with how well they gotten on since his arrivalBoth strikers had played in the Ligue 1 together with Aubameyang having played for St Etienne, while Lacazette played for Lyon.But, on the back of the duo making their first start together up front in Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat to Newcastle last weekend, Aubameyang confessed that he was worried that he would struggle to get on with his new strike partner.“My friend Lacazette was at Lyon when I was at St Etienne,” Aubameyang told the club website.Jadon SanchoMerson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“He’s a player I appreciate and was good for me when I arrived here as he’s a nice person, very positive.“I wasn’t 100 per cent sure about him when I came here as there were some Lyon players I didn’t get on well with but he wasn’t someone I had problems with when I played against them.“I’m really happy to get to know someone so positive and he helped me settle into the dressing room.”The Gabon international is expected to start for Arsenal in their Premier League match against West Ham United on Sunday, but will be cup-tied for the semi-final against Atletico Madrid in the Europa League.last_img read more