‘Schools deserve better’ – Education leaders in Donegal slam Budget 2020

first_imgEducation leaders in Donegal have slammed today’s budget saying school leaders and pupils have been ‘short-changed’. The Irish National Teachers’ Organisation (INTO) led a nationwide campaign to ensure that every politician in Dail Eireann was educated on the challenges facing our primary education system.School leaders say class sizes are supersized, leaders are not supported, and the system grossly underfunds the running of primary schools to the tune of €46 million per year. West Donegal native and INTO Secretary-General, John Boyle, said: “Ireland’s national ambition to become the best education and training service in Europe by 2026 can’t be secured if our pupils and school leaders are not adequately supported.“Our school leaders deserve better – we need to see a restoration of assistant principal posts in our schools and teaching principals need a minimum of one leadership and management day per week.John BoyleBoyle added: “Despite acknowledging the class size differential in small schools and the school funding challenges facing all of our primary schools, today’s budget will do little to lower class sizes to eurozone levels or reduce the funding pressures facing schools.”“Regrettably, in the first school year of the new decade, class sizes in Irish primary schools will still be the largest in the Eurozone. “Ireland’s expenditure on primary education will remain in the bottom half of the European league and primary school leadership will continue to be neglected.”“Our prudent and legitimate calls for a reduction of one pupil in all classes, the restoration of school capitation to pre-recession levels of €200 per pupil and supports for primary principals including middle leadership teams and more administrative release time have been ignored by the government.“We simply cannot become the best if we fail to invest in the best.”‘Schools deserve better’ – Education leaders in Donegal slam Budget 2020 was last modified: October 8th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Warriors 141, Spurs 102: Kevin Durant upset with media and free agency talk

first_imgCLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos or video on a mobile device.OAKLAND — As he sat at the Warriors’ podium, Kevin Durant spoke in a forceful, direct and frustrated tone.The Warriors had just cruised to a 141-102 victory over the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday at Oracle Arena. But just as it has been ever since the Knicks traded Kristaps Porzingis last week, all the talk centered on Durant’s pending free agency. Very little of it centered on a performance — 23 points, …last_img

Airport slammed for ordering security dog shot

first_imgOfficials at New Zealand’s Auckland Airport are facing a barrage of criticism after they ordered police to shoot a trainee aviation security dog that escaped onto the tarmac.The dog, a 10-month-old bearded collie-German short-haired pointer cross called Grizz,  escaped early Friday morning and was causing delays at the airport when airport staff issued the kill order.The incident has sparked international news coverage as well as angry criticism from animal rights groups and the public about why the dog was not tranquilised rather killed.  Some passengers said they would have been happy to see their flight delayed if the dog could have been saved.The shooting came after officials had tried for more than three hours to capture Grizz, who was not on the runway when he was shot.  By that time, about 16 international and domestic flights had been delayed.The dog was being trained to detect bombs and was just six months away from graduating. It was not known what spooked him.A spokesman for New Zelaand’s Aviation Security Service (Avsec), Mike Richards, told the New Zealand Herald:  “All efforts to capture the dog were exhausted and the airport company had no option but to request police to shoot the dog.””The handler and Avsec are naturally upset but do understand there were no other options, in the very difficult circumstances.’’Avsec said Grizz was being loaded into the back of wagon about  4:30am when he escaped and ran on to the secure airside part of the airport through an open gate. He did not have a permanent handler so was less responsive and all efforts to recover him failed, it said.“All of Auckland’s Avsec off duty dog handlers were called in and there was a massive effort to locate and retrieve him,’’ an Avsec statement said. “The fact that the incident took place very early in the morning did not help as it was pitch black for the first two hours and he could not be found.“When he was located he would not let anyone near him and kept sprinting across the runways. We tried everything, food, toys, other dogs, but nothing would work. The area is too vast and too open to try and use mobile fencing.“In these difficult circumstances the Airport’s Emergency Operations Centre team decided to have the dog destroyed. Avsec and the handler and members of the Explosive Detector Dog Unit are naturally quite shaken but understand the reasons for the decision.”last_img read more

Pair of and Navy Velvet Feel Hair Scrunchies Bobbles Elastic Hair Bands : 5 WELL-EARNED STARS

first_imgLovely shades of blue and red. Great scrunchies, fast delivery, great value. Good quality and good speed of delivery. Very good for protecting your hair if you’re trying to grow it (like me) and also good for thick hair (like mine). I bought these for 16yr old grandaughters hair,she very please, these velvet ones are hard to come by,had different colours,. Good quality and good speed of delivery5 WELL-EARNED STARSOk, nothing special, smaller than expectedPerfect cheap scrunchiesGreat scrunchiesReally nice scrunchies.Pair of Red and Navy Velvet Feel Hair Scrunchies Bobbles Elastic Hair Bands Perfect scrunchies which look very stylish and cool in my hair, would recommend to others who would like to use them for a fashion item. Lovely soft good quality scrunchies. The red colour is brightest than the picture. Prompt delivery, good quality and inexpensive. Happy to buy more scrunchies as and when i next need them. I would recommend this product to others, i received the item within one day,i had no issues and would order from this user again. Washed regularly and keep their shape ,excellent value to. Are what you would expect from the picture in terms of colour and texture. £2 is a fiar amount for one hair tie, but i wear them everyday, so it’s worth it. Amazing value for money, look exactly like the ones in the pic. These were fairly narrow velvet, so not as thick as you may think but still good for the price. Took a few days to arrive but really useful as i had difficulty finding a navy colour in the shops. Good material and colors as described, vibrant and great. The velvet part is a bit smaller than i hoped but they are good scrunchies. Needed these to take my daughters hair bun for school. Great quality and arrived very quickly, would definitely buy from again :). Pair of red and navy velvet hair scrunchies. I would recommend them for anyone who wears them. Ok, practically nothing particular, scaled-down than envisioned. Quite standard scrunchie- a great deal more compact than i anticipated. If you have thick hair i would not propose.The colours are a ton brighter than they show up to be in the photo, having said that nonetheless just as i needed and although has fairly low-priced material, great pressure on the hairband etc so does the occupation and continue to appears to be like pleasant.The hair band is compact, but will come in wonderful colours. I are inclined to like even bigger hair bands. I will not be using these but they are pleasant.last_img read more

Spectator charged with assaulting WWE star Bret Hart

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. Madsen had a previous run-in with a fighter in Lincoln.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next FILE – In this March 28, 2010, file photo, Bret “Hit Man” Hart celebrates his victory over Mr. McMahon at WrestleMania XXVI in Glendale, Ariz. Hart was tackled by a spectator Saturday, April 6, 2019, while he was giving a speech during the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony at Barclays Center. The attacker was promptly subdued by several people, including other wrestlers, who came to Hart’s defense. Hart is okay. (AP Photo/Rick Scuteri, File)NEW YORK — Authorities say a spectator faces assault and trespassing charges after tackling wrestler Bret “The Hitman” Hart while he was giving a speech during the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony in Brooklyn.Bail was set at $1,500 for Zachary Madsen of Lincoln, Nebraska at a hearing on Sunday night. The judge also issued orders of protection barring Madsen from approaching Hart, who wasn’t hurt, and a security worker.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles LATEST STORIES DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Other wrestlers helped subdue the attacker. Hart resumed his speech.Prosecutors said in court that Madsen told police that he “felt like it was right moment” to go after the wrestling legend.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsHis lawyer said Madsen is “agreeable and cooperative” and has no criminal convictions.WWE described Madsen as “an over-exuberant fan.” Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess PBA D-League: Valencia City-San Sebastian blasts Wangs View comments MOST READ Duterte wants probe of SEA Games messlast_img read more

2017 Youth Trans Tasman Referee Appointments

first_imgRelated LinksYTT Referee Appointments Congratulations to the following referees who received appointments at the 2017 Youth Trans Tasman.Game 1: Friday 20 January 201718 Mixed: John Wright, Luke Saldern and Dai Tui Taylor18 Women’s: Chris Schwerdt, Henri Labuschagne and Brian Blechynden18 Men’s: Luke Heckendorf, John Dustow and Anthony Smith20 Mixed: Rob Bowen, George Haswell and Tony Calabria20 Women’s: Alisha Ruaiti, Logan Forrester and Amanda Sheeky20 Men’s: Luke McKenzie, Cameron MacDonald and Richie HeapGame 2: Saturday 21 January 201718 Mixed: Logan Forrester, Brian Blechynden and Luke Saldern18 Women’s: Dali Tui Taylor, Henri Labuschange and John Wright18 Men’s: Luke Heckendorf, John Dustow and Chris Schwerdt 20 Mixed: Rob Bowen, George Haswell and Anthony Smith20 Women’s: Tony Calabria, Alisha Ruaiti and Amanada Sheeky20 Men’s: Luke McKenzie, Cameron MacDonald and Richie Heap Game 3: Sunday 22 January 201718 Mixed: Logan Forrester, Brian Blechynden and Luke Saldern18 Women’s: Dali Tui Taylor, Henri Labuschange and John Wright18 Men’s: Luke Heckendorf, John Dustow and Chris Schwerdt 20 Mixed: Rob Bowen, George Haswell and Anthony Smith20 Women’s: Tony Calabria, Alisha Ruaiti and Amanada Sheeky20 Men’s: Luke McKenzie, Cameron MacDonald and Richie Heap last_img read more

10 months agoTottenham striker Kane best no.9 in the world says Keane

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Tottenham striker Kane best no.9 in the world says Keaneby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham Hotspur star Harry Kane is the best number nine in the world, according to former Spurs star Robbie Keane.The Englishman has quietly gone about his business this season, once again blasting in goals left, right and centre.Kane currently has 20 goals in 30 appearances this season, which has taken him to fourth on the all-time scoring list at Tottenham. And Keane thinks he will continue adding to that tally.”I’m sure he’ll stay at this club for a long time. He loves it here. There’s no question that he cannot get to Jimmy Greaves’ record,” Keane, who banged in over 100 goals for Spurs, told Sky Sports.”What I like about Harry is that… everyone keeps talking about ‘ah, next year is he going to be good?’ He keeps doing it.”I’m sick of people saying ‘is he tired?’ because he keeps banging the goals in and that spurs him on.”When you speak to him he gets annoyed when people keep mentioning it and then he just keeps coming on the pitch and keeps scoring goals.”For me at this moment in time, he’s the best No. 9 in the world.” last_img read more

Celebrity Clothes Sold For Charity

first_imgA selection of celebrity clothes – including items belonging to Harper Beckham, donated by Victoria Beckham – are being sold to raise money for Save the Children.The doors of the Mary’s Living & Giving shop for Save the Children in Primrose Hill opened at 10am on Thursday, with the first outfit being sold at a record time of 10:05am. All money raised from the sale for Save the Children could help give children around the world access to lifesaving healthcare that they are currently denied.The complete outfits – including outerwear and shoes – put together by style icon Victoria Beckham from Harper’s wardrobe, included items from designers such as Chloe, Roksanda Ilincic, Ralph Lauren, Stella McCartney, Gucci, Marc Jacobs and Charlotte Olympia. One Harper Beckham outfit, a pink Mischka Aoki dress which retails at £3,693.34, was placed in an auction which runs from today until 4pm on 28th June.Customers can place a bid in store or by telephone by calling 020 3763 0049.Victoria Beckham said: “I am delighted to be supporting the wonderful work of Save the Children through the Fashion Saves Lives Sale. As a mother, I passionately believe that all children, wherever they live, have the right to a happy, healthy life.“Everyone out there can do their part by purchasing or donating, ensuring children all around the world have the opportunity of a brighter future.”Helena Wiltshire, Head of PR at Save the Children, said: “The excitement down at Mary’s Living & Giving in Primrose Hill today has been overwhelming; we are extremely grateful for Victoria Beckham’s support of the Fashion Saves Lives sale as this increased awareness and money raised could give children around the world access to lifesaving healthcare that they are currently denied.”Fronted by Save the Children ambassadors Erin O’Connor and Mary Portas, the Fashion Saves Lives sale also sees pieces from Kate Moss, Jade Jagger, Stanley Tucci and many more famous faces being auctioned on the Mary’s Living & Giving eBay store for Save the Children for a ten day period from 18th – 28th June.Every day, 17,000 children die from preventable causes such as pneumonia and malaria due to a lack of adequate health services. Save the Children is backing a campaign to ensure that at the UN summit in September world leaders make a commitment to ensuring that by 2030, every child has the basic healthcare that they need to survive – no matter who or where they are.Show your support by signing Save the Children’s petition calling on world leaders to agree to a commitment to end child deaths by 2030 at savethechildren.org.uk.For more information and to purchase an item from the sale, please visit savethechildren.org.uk/fashionsaveslives and follow the hashtag #FashionSavesLiveslast_img read more

Zimmer attends International Grand Committee Meeting on Disinformation and Fake News

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Local M.P. Bob Zimmer recently attended The International Grand Committee Meeting on Disinformation and ‘Fake News’ in London.The Committee Hearing, co-chaired by U.K. M.P. Damian Collins and Zimmer, allowed collaborative scrutiny by members of the national committees of both the British and the Canadian Parliaments in their studies into digital policy including disinformation, digital vulnerabilities, and the potential threats to democracies.Brazil, Latvia and Singapore joined the Committee which includes Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, Argentina and Ireland; representing over 393 million residents. Both Zimmer and Collins had requested Zuckerberg to appear before their respective committees to discuss the breach of personal information involving Cambridge Analytica and Facebook, as well as subsequent breaches. None of those requests were successful.Zimmer says the Facebook CEO had declined their requests several times, saying that Zuckerberg had sent his Vice President, Richard Allan, to represent him at the hearing.“He declined several times; we asked twice in our committee in Canada, and then Damian had asked him a couple of times in his committee in the U.K. So, we figured together we would ask and just to move the number up so if he didn’t think 30 million was significant enough, we tried 100 million with the U.K. and ourselves. Once we started to add countries, that added up quite quickly. He still didn’t appear. He sent his Vice President, Richard Allan, to appear and it just highlighted the reason why we wanted him there because Richard Allan couldn’t answer many of the questions we were asking, and that’s something only, we think, the CEO would have answers for.”Despite Zuckerberg’s absence at the committee hearing, Zimmer says they are still going to proceed to regulate social media platform influences while maintaining the right to freedom of speech.“I call the social media’s the ‘new public square’ where we talk about issues, so the Government shouldn’t be infringing on anybody’s rights of freedom to speak their mind. The comment that I said what we are trying to do is, this new public square that we have, we are trying to keep the bullies from controlling it.”Zimmer also says that they need to find solutions to fix the problem, especially with a federal election less than a year away, pointing out that Canada’s Communications Security Establishment reports that “Cyber threat activity against the democratic process is increasing around the world, and Canada is not immune.”last_img read more